Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sam's Big Fall

Sam is a climber and he is fearless. On Tuesday August 4th he had a big fall off the kitchen counter. He's climbed up on the counter before, he doesn't even use a chair and puts his feet on top of the drawers and pulls himself up. I get him down and tell him no climbing you'll get hurt. Well, that is what happened and he got hurt really bad. He was screaming and he had a mouth full of blood. I grabbed a towel and gave him the once over trying to locate the source of the blood. I looked and he had all teeth his nose looked ok then he stuck out his tongue and I noticed a large hole in the middle. I called the pediatrician and they said if the hole is big enough for food to get trapped then he needs to go to the ER and have it stitched. I called Gordon can't get a hold of him. I had a text sent. I knew it would be hard to love Sam and take care of the baby in the ER so I called my sister-in-law Sonya and my niece Lynlee came over to watch the boys. I am so grateful they were able to help out and know that the baby was being taken care of since we were in the ER for over 4 hours.

I got a hold of Gordon and he was with his Regional Manager in Park City. I would call him from the ER. The Dr. gave Sam a sedative then they papoosed him and he started screaming. I held my own until he called Mamma, Mamma and I started crying. He was so wiggly the Dr. had a hard time stitching, I glanced over and noticed his front teeth were bloody and they just looked wrong. The front 3 bottom teeth were lying flat towards his lips. They stopped tryingt to stitch saying the damage was more severe than they thought and needed to call a dentist. I called Gordon and it took me a minute before I could talk. All I could get out was "I need you its bad."
The Dr. said there was avulsion of his bottom 3 teeth with gingival laceration. I had 2 different dentist opinion and both said my options were to try to re-seed the teeth or take them out. Re-seeding may or may not work and he would have to have root cananls on all 3. The first tooth on the left you see in the picture was loose as well but it stayed upright. But it may have problems later.

The lines in the picture are the stitches. They started an IV for the anesthia and it took a lot for him to relax. The Dr. said he was a stubborn one. He tried to bite the Dr while he was under. It was like watching a horror film. The body was eerie still arms in mid-air and eyes wide open but eyelids and tonuge twitching. It was freaky and I never want to see that again. Icried and rubbed his legs hoping he knew mamma was there and praying that he would be ok. The nurse said Sam wouldn't remember anything.
Where the top lip hits his tongue it is raised a bit this is where the hole was in the middle but he bit all the way across his tongue. His tongue looks way better than it did. Everytime he opened his mouth I would cringe and cry. He's doing OK now. He wakes up 1 or 2 times at night screaming and he kicks, hits and throws things in pain and frustration. His word "watch" is now more like "wash."
Sorry the video is dark.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Poor Sam! I hope he starts feeling better soon, he's such a little trooper.

Deborah said...

Oh goodness, my heart goes out to that sweet busy little Sam. I'm so glad that he won't remember any of this. Hugs and kisses to him.

DaNae said...

you are a tough cookie. You were for sure meant to be a mother of all boys.